Thursday, September 10, 2009

Easy-Peasy Recipe for Tropical Fruit Salsa

About two weekends ago, Mom (Ali) and I went to Rehoboth Beach, DE for a few days as a sort of "last hurrah" before the end of summer. While I know summer doesn't officially end until September 22nd, both Mom and I substitute teach in Loudoun County, so for us, summer ended right after Labor Day! 

Anywho, while we were there, we ate at a popular Rehoboth dinner spot called "Big Fish Grill." We almost always eat at "Big Fish" while visiting Rehoboth. Normally we're picky about eating at seafood restaurants (hmm, wonder why?!?!), but the fish at "Big Fish" is fresh and consistently good. 

I always get the pecan-encrusted halibut. Mom ordered the rockfish this time, and unfortunately, she didn't care for it. However, we both love, love, love the fresh, "tropical" fruit salsa that they serve with nearly all their meals. 

This week, I tried my hand at recreating the salsa, and I was really happy with the results. It's ridiculously simple - you only need the fruit and some red onion! Here's what I used: 

Easy Peasy Tropical Fruit Salsa
  • 1 kiwi
  • 1/2 mango (or less)  
  • 6 - 10 chunks of pineapple (the kind that you buy fresh in the produce section) 
  • few slices of red onion 
I chopped each ingredient very finely and combined them together. I let it set in the fridge for a few hours before serving it chilled with swordfish (any fresh fish would do, but I think this salsa works particularly well with meaty, white fish like sword, wahoo, halibut, etc.) 

The red onion keeps the salsa from being overly sweet. I would definitely suggest making this at least a few hours or even a day ahead of time to let the flavor of the onion seep into the fruit.

Keep in mind that you might need more or less of the ingredients listed depending on the amount of people who will be eating! The measurements I provided above made enough for three servings. 

Feel free to add any other fruits, veggies, herbs or spices to this salsa. I know my Mom (Ali) likes to add a bit of olive oil and cilantro to hers. A bit of lemon juice is nice, too. 

If you try this recipe, leave a comment and let us know how you like it - or share your own recipes for salsas/toppings!   

No comments: